[Beowulf] MPICH vs. OpenMPI

Jan Heichler jan.heichler at gmx.net
Wed Apr 23 11:37:06 PDT 2008

Hallo Mark,

Mittwoch, 23. April 2008, meintest Du:

>> Can anyone give me a quick comparison of OpenMPI vs. MPICH? I've always
>> used MPICH (I never liked lam), and just recently heard about OpenMPI.
>> Anyone here using it?

MH> openmpi is a genetic descendent of lam (with significant other contributors,
MH> of course).  I have not seen any good comparison which makes technical or
MH> performance arguments in favor of open-mpi vs mpich, unfortunately.

From what i saw OpenMPI has several advantages:

- better control of jobs, better integration with queuing systems
- better performance on MultiCore Systems because of good shared-memory-implementation
- without having a real proof: i had the feeling that complex operations are more efficient in OpenMPI
- support for a lot of Interconnects beside TCP/IP based communication

I don't see a real point chosing mpich over OpenMPI.

Cheers, Jan