[Beowulf] where to start building ur own cluster distro

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Apr 16 20:20:07 PDT 2008

----- "Jon Aquilina" <eagles051387 at gmail.com> wrote:

> ive been thinking bout building an easy to use cluster distro based on
> kubuntu where would the ideal place for me to start. the desktop
> interface the kernel?

As others have said I'd suggest that rather than doing that
you settle on a very basic install of your favourite distro
(bearing in mind that if you want to run a commercial ISV's
application you might hit issues if you don't run something
that looks like RHEL or SLES) and then add a repository on
top of it yourself.

This is a strategy that some of the Scientific Linux
developers discussed on their development list early last
year - the idea was mooted to rebase on CentOS [1] and
then provide repositories that added the extras and
tweaks that SL does.

In the end they chose to carry on as before for SL5,
but I got the impression that the idea might resurface
for SL6 [2] (though there's been no mention since).

[1] - http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0702&L=SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL&P=R2041&I=-3
[2] - http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0703&L=SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL&P=R522&I=-3

cheers,
Chris