[Beowulf] How Can Microsoft's HPC Server Succeed?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Apr 4 05:26:07 PDT 2008

Chris Samuel wrote:
> ----- "Greg Byshenk" <gbyshenk at byshenk.net> wrote:
>
>> A former co-worker of mine now works elsewhere, at a company where
>> they are looking to build a cluster for some research he will be
>> doing, and it will almost certainly run Windows. And this is not
>> because there is something "better" about Windows, but because they
>> are a Windows shop, and thus the cost of hiring or training staff
>> would more than outweigh any savings on licenses.
>
> This will also be a big factor for University ITS departments
> too which often seem to have (at least here in Australia) become
> MS only shops.

Interesting ... in the commercial space, I am seeing something
different.  Noticed it starting in earnest sometime last year.  Some of
the larger shops (and many of the smaller ones) have been shifting to
Linux desktops.  They use their laptops for office things, though an
increasing number of them are using linux on their laptops.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com