[Beowulf] How Can Microsoft's HPC Server Succeed?

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Thu Apr 3 13:50:30 PDT 2008

Kyle Spaans wrote:
>>  What if your data is sensitive or has HIPPA requirements? Do you want a
>> part-timer having admin control of that data (regardless if it is Linux,
>> Windows, or MacOSX)?
>>

> Isn't that what NDAs are for?

NDA= lawsuit

HIPPA combined with Sarb-Ox= massive fines or jail time.

One does not want a high school student managing a cluster (or db
machine or even laptop) that falls under HIPPA guidelines.

My last 2 hires were internal. I began with more than 100 applicants in
each case, narrowed to a shortlist of 5-7 for interviews. Discovered
that at least 4 of that 7 who claimed linux or unix admin experience
didn't even know how to create a new user. Their supposed batch
experience (specified as SGE, PBS, Torque, LSF) was running jobs in the
background from the command line. They had little experience with RAID
and had not even bothered to do any research before showing up for the
interview.  In other words, they were unqualified.

Mike Davis