[Beowulf] FREEBSD CLUSTER

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 13:02:17 PDT 2008

Perfect Difference Sets (I just learned) are a math thing; a set of K+1
numbers (K turns out to be an interesting parameter) from the N-1 nonzero
residues 1, 2, 3, ..., N-1 of integers modulo N, so that that every residue
is the difference of some pair of numbers in the PD set. If N = K^2 + K + 1
and K is a power of two it works out, e.g. K = 2, N = 7 (a prime, so the
residues form a finite field, also) e.g. {1, 2, 4}  is a PDS mod 7, e.g. 2-4
= -2 = 5 (mod 7). So all of the 6 nonzero residues can be produced by
differences of those 3 in the PDS.
But how this is used as a coding for a network topology I have no idea. The
Wolfram site deines PDS as above but doesn't mention networks.
Peter