[Beowulf] Parallel Development Tools

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Oct 16 14:19:05 PDT 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Jon Tegner wrote:

> You should switch to a .deb-system, to save you some trouble:
>
> $ apt-cache search jove
> jove - Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs - a compact, powerful editor
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

Hey, it's ok.  I'm actually trisystemal.  FC 6 on top (soon to jump to
8, but in no hurry), VMware, then debian and XP Pro VM.  And yes, it was
a good thing debian already had jove as I still don't really know how to
build debian packages, and manage to get myself confused by apt tools
(I'm too used to yum).  But there is no doubt:

   a) Debian is a perfectly useful, fully functional variety of linux,
and I have been painfully taught to bow down before its selection of
available packages, which is for all practical purposes inexhaustible.
In fact, you need a search engine with powerful features even to go
shopping amongst them.

   b) It works great as a VM under Fedora.

Beyond that, well, Fedora is also a perfectly useful, fully functional
variety of linux. XP Pro (outfitted with cygwin and living in a VM where
it belongs) isn't a bad version of Windows, for that matter -- it sucks
less than any version of Windows I ever used (which is still plenty,
mind you, but it is workable and reasonably stable).

jove even builds under cygwin.

    rgb

--
Robert G. Brown
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305