[Beowulf] Better C2D or Quadcore

Eric Thibodeau kyron at neuralbs.com
Thu Nov 29 05:52:00 PST 2007

Ali,

    You might want to consider looking into Tyan's VX50 systems, that
system is able to handle dual core Opterons (8*2=16 cores, it does not
support the 9000 series quad core though) and it can go up to 128Gig of
RAM. Some advantages are:

Each Opteron chip (datasheets:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_9003,00.html):

- has its own internal MMU (Memory Management Unit),
- is interconnected to another chip using Hypertransport
- is a single system which consumes and generates very little heat
compared to multiple systems connected together
- and many more...

Though I would love it if the other that are showing speed results post
a link to the test program so that I could also post some results so we
could compare ;)

Eric