[Beowulf] Really efficient MPIs??

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 05:34:40 PST 2007

Because my target application is easy to distribute, and also tries to
optimize it's own operating environment (by fiddling with it's own
parameters), I'm thinking about using  MPI for the case that a node wants to
specify a remote node to do a job (e.g., an underutilized node, or one that
has common statistics loaded locally) and OpenMP for when the app doesn't
know what specific other node should do a job. There's a bottleneck in my
app where I'd just have to have two calls, one for spawning in each mode. I
was thinking that OpenMP might be smarter about taking advantage of nearby
cores on a CPU, while my app might be smarter about taking advantage of the
current environment of a CPU, or maybe could learn to be.

But I'm a long way off still, this is all hypothetical.

Peter