[Beowulf] Really efficient MPIs??

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Wed Nov 28 05:04:57 PST 2007

amjad ali,

If you are going to use GigE (TCP), I would recommend Scali MPI
(www.scali.com). It's commercial, but it's the best MPI I've ever tested
(the fastest). Plus it works with TCP, Myrinet, and IB without having
to recompile.

If you don't want to pay money for an MPI, then go with Open-MPI.
It too can run on various networks without recompiling. Plus it's
open-source.

Both MPI's use processor affinity, so that will help improve performance.
I think Scali MPI is better - it has great profiling tools, tuning
capability,
and it's really fast! But it don't want a commercial MPI, then go with
Open-MPI. I know the head developer of Open-MPI and I know most
of the Scali MPI team as well :)

Jeff