[Beowulf] Teaching Scientific Computation (looking for the perfect text)

Nathan Moore ntmoore at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 21:00:33 PST 2007

Andrew, please screed away.

My students are mostly physics majors.  Ideally, they will have played with
python (specifically vpython for animations) while in the intro physics
sequence, and by the time they get to this computational course they may
have seen that computers are useful for doing "stuff" and want to learn
more.

This specific course is something like a mix of basic procedural
programming, numerical methods, data analysis, and symbolic manipulation.
My research work is computational, so I hope that the students learn enough
in the 2 credits to start working with me on simple projects.  I do not hope
or expect to produce experts with the course, but by the end of the
semester, most of the students have acquired sufficient basic skill to code
up a small Lennard-Jones molecular dynamics simulation, visualize and
present the results with latex/gnuplot, and do some of the corresponding
theory in Mathematica.
Is that sufficiently ambiguous?

Nathan

--