[Beowulf] Teaching Scientific Computation (looking for the perfect text)

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Nov 20 16:09:04 PST 2007

Jim Lux wrote:

>> Octave: http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/
>
> Octave is nice, but.... the graphics are MUCH better in Matlab, and

Agreed.  Octave uses Gnuplot which is OK.

> there's all those toolboxes full of cool stuff (signal processing,
> control systems, maps, etc.)

Octave has quite a few as well, though they are not identical to the
Matlab versions.

> And, an academic license for Matlab is only $100.  That's less than the

Anyone need an adjunct ... :) I was under the impression that the
license fees were much stiffer than that.  For a cluster, $100*N for N =
16 .. 32 is not bad at all.  Or am I missing something.

> textbook likely costs.  Granted Matlab isn't quite as cool as the
> symbolic manipulators.  It's sort of like a procedural programming
> language in an interpretive/JITcompile environment with a HUGE and
> useful subroutine library.

FWIW:  I played around with Matlab the first time in 1988.  It was quite
nice, though it was slow.

> I also ran across an interesting Matlab program/application that did
> *symbolic* manipulation of the matrices in linear circuit theory.
> Matlab isn't the most pleasant environment for string manipulation, and
> this was an amazing work of art and craft in many dimensional arrays of
> characters.

:)

Give someone a good, powerful, flexible tool, and get out of their way.
  Lower barriers to use.  This has become somewhat of a mantra with me
as of late.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO