[Beowulf] The Walmart Compute Node?

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Nov 12 02:55:15 PST 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> Of course it's logical, a loud $1 fan is gonna save more costs than
> a quiet 'noiseblocker' fan from germany, to just give an example.

No comment on the German-made fans, but I want to point out that the
environment plays an important role in the functioning of the fan(s).
The fans in the computers placed in our computer rooms (with A/C and
dust filters) are as clean as in their first day, even after 3-4 years
of continuous functioning. By contrast, the fans in the offices are
quite dirty with dust after 3-6 months and become noisier and prone to
breaking, independent of their brand and model. The noise comes both
from dust sticking on their blades altering the air flow and from the
ball bearing or other similar mechanism which is forced to run
off-center due to the uneven weight distribution. And Heidelberg is
not a particularly dusty city...

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868