[Beowulf] Network Filesystems performance

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Fri Nov 9 23:33:01 PST 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Michael Will wrote:

> I tested several NFS server configurations with a 19 node cluster.

Same, but with 150+ nodes and about 500+ CPUs.

> The first advise is to stay away from redhat for file servers since
> they have some bursty I/O bugs and don't support XFS.

Amen.

We've run through Fedora (OK, but release cycle too quick), Ubuntu
(Dapper has longer support, but a bit flakey) and now run Debian Etch
(very happy).

Fedora & Ubuntu were on a pair of IBM e325 with 2x2.0GHz Opterons and
gigabit ethernet connected through to each side of an Apple XServe
RAID array.

Debian is running on an IBM x3550 with a pair of 3GHz woodcrests and a
couple of bonded gigabit ethernets connected through via SAS to some
external SATA EXP3000 arrays.  We decided to use the hardware RAID to
make smaller individual RAID5 arrays and then stripe across them
using the Linux MD driver.  Seems to work rather nicely!

cheers,
Chris