[Beowulf] The Walmart Compute Node?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 9 09:21:41 PST 2007

Ok easy theoretic calculation, and it's still very rude of course:

1 core 2.4Ghz * 3 instructions a cycle * (sse)2 = 7.2 * 2 = 14.4 Gflop
4 cores of a quad core ==> 57.6 gflop
3 nodes ==> 3 * 57.6 =  172.8 gflop

Now of course your software won't be able to get that out of the
hardware at core2,
at new K8 cores perhaps it goes a tad better (though they aren't
there yet).

More careful calculation for core2 you can do using 2 instructions a
cycle:

172.8 * 2 / 3 = 115.2 gflop

If you really want to build this cheapo, checkout pricewatch. I'm
sure one of you can manage it for $1000.

On other hand at sycortex.com under 'news' i see a 72 cpu solution,
which in their case is 72Gflop (hope i'm wrong)
offered for under $15k.

Let's say roughly a factor 5-10 difference in price compared to pc's
even if we add power for the coming 3 years?

Thanks,
Vincent