[Beowulf] The Walmart Compute Node?

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 11:02:41 PST 2007

RGB,
I look forward to buying you a beer :-) Hmmm, Dopple Bock.
Unfortunately Christmas will be in CA this year, not NC, on account of
my nephews new baby. (Of course it's a good thing in other ways :-)
I'm thinking, it might be fun to have say 4 cheapo 1.5GHz nodes and
say 1 3GHz with two cores and let them compete. My algorithm wants to
referee. (My algorithms talk to me.)
Your points about the L2 and the 32-bit-ness give me pause. I maybe
don't want to saddle myself with 32 bit things that won't play well
with near-future 64 bit things, but OTOH it's cheap to look see.
Thanks,
Peter