[Beowulf] HDTV video file sizes

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue May 29 13:41:42 PDT 2007

At 06:25 PM 5/29/2007, matt jones wrote:
>  >Does anyone know who much data 1 hr. of HDTV produces? Let's try 720
>for now and perhaps 1080. I'm looking for the file size if you store the
>whole thing  in a single file.
>
>personally...
>
>HD is a marketing CON to get nieve people to buy 'HD' products when they
>would be better buying a computer monitor with a higher resolution,
>colour depth, and refresh rate. although a 42" 'HD' widescreen would
>look good on my comp.

somewhat ot, although people do build video walls with Beowulf clusters...

TV/Video displays and computer monitors actually have different
specifications and ways things are measured.  For instance, the
typical computer CRT monitor is specified for 3 year life to 50%
brightness. The typical television CRT is specified for 10-15 year
life.  TVs are MUCH brighter than typical monitors (at the tradeoff
in CRT days of a bigger spot, so the resolution is poorer)

Yes, they're both display technologies, but they sell into very
different markets with very different expectations of life, user
fiddling, viewing angles, background light, etc.

The challenges in HD video are more than just the display.. it's
things like bandwidth efficiency, digital rights management, etc.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075