[Beowulf] Network considerations for new generation cheap beowulfcluster

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:51:09 PDT 2007

Well actually, I don't want to figure out how to take advantage of a network
topology, I want to figure out a clever weay for my optimization software to
figure out how to take advantage of the topology. That is, I want my AI to
solve the problem for me; my design for AI, is for the AI to figure out how
to design itself.
So I look for problems that:
1. don't have obvious solutions from exisiting qualitative theory (e.g.
genetic algorithms themselves; the best parameters, such as mutation rates,
and selection of parameters, is still debated and the subject of
experiments);
2. Can be interpreted by an algorithm (expressible in a finite
representation, e.g. a network topology is a binary array, the question
"what is the meaning of life?" is not so expressible)
3. the solution of the problem itself helps the method of solution; e.g.,
the optimization of a network topology, or the message passing system using
a fixed topology, would itself improve the performance of the optimizing
software running on the system; that is, the AI optimizes itself
(indirectly).

So part of the reason I want a beowulf is that my AI can optimize it's
platform, in the course of optimizing itself; besides being a horrible RAM
hog and CPU hog and being trivially parallelizable (gen algs). So I"m
interested in **any** topology that offers choices to running processes
(should I call this distant idle node or that nearby busy node?) so it has
something to optimize. So that's why hypercubes attract me. Besides it
sounds all abstract mathy, even though it really isn't :-)

Peter