[Beowulf] MPI application benchmarks

Tom Elken elken at pathscale.com
Mon May 7 08:30:42 PDT 2007

"Martin Siegert" <siegert at sfu.ca> wrote:
> In that respect the SPEC MPI2007 benchmark appears to be ideal. Alas,
> it does not appear to be open source (please correct me if I am wrong)

SPEC MPI2007 will not be open source, but the price will not be very high either
(and that price could be left up to the vendors to pay, bidders on your
procurement).

> - so far I have not even been able to figure out which applications are
> being used in that benchmark suite.

The names of the SPEC MPI2007 benchmarks have not been made public yet.

SPEC confidentiality rules do not allow that until the suite is
released.  One reason for that is that it is still possible to drop a
candidate code from the suite (though unlikely) and SPEC wants to spare
the author of such a code possible embarrassment.  The expected release
date is late June this year.

To give more of a hint about what MPI2007 will be like, it will consist of real
applications that have been made more portable and had correctness tests
defined.  The types of applications of the CPU2006 floating point suite (
http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/CFP2006/ )
are similar to what will be in the MPI2007 suite, though only a few are in
common between the two suites.

I don't think I'm allowed to reveal the price of the MPI2007 suite yet, but it
should be somewhat similar to the price structure for CPU2006 (hint, hint).