[Beowulf] SSH without login in nodes

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sun May 6 00:58:54 PDT 2007

On Sun, 6 May 2007, Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:

> Not that ugly, actually. But what if users do a
> ssh node -t "bash --noprofile"? ;)

Then if any of the 500 odd tried we would spot them with some other scripts
and chase them about it.   We've not had to do that yet, though, fortunately!

> To handle of SSH based MPI launchers, we've disabled user logins from our
> frontend node to the compute nodes, but allowed them between compute
> nodes. So that the scheduler takes care of dispatching the initial process
> on a first node (no SSH involved), and then SSH connections can be used to
> dispatch the MPI daemons on the other nodes, from the initial one.

Now that there's the Torque PAM module (pam_pbssimpleauth) that Garrick wrote
I'm tempted to set that up, but given our current system works I haven't
dared break it.  :-)

cheers!
Chris