[Beowulf] OT? GPU accelerators for finite difference time domain

Peter Wainwright prw at ceiriog.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 22:59:10 PDT 2007

Slightly off-topic for this list, but I can't think of a more
likely forum to find information on HPC topics.

A couple of colleagues just returned from the "Progress in
Electromagnetics Research Symposium" in Verona.  There appears
to be a considerable buzz now around FDTD calculations on GPUs.
A number of companies seem to be producing products on those
lines (Acceleware, EM Photonics are names I have come across).

I discovered gpgpu.org which seems to have some general
information on the GPU approach.

Has anyone any experience of this? How do these products stack
up against the traditional Beowulf solution?

We are planning to buy a new Beowulf in the next few months. I'm
wondering whether I should set aside some funds for GPU instead
of CPU...

Peter Wainwright