[Beowulf] Performance characterising a HPC application

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Thu Mar 29 06:27:40 PDT 2007

Hey Patrick,

Patrick Geoffray wrote:
> Message aggregation would be much more beneficial in the context of
> UPC, where the compiler will likely generates many small grain
> communications to the same remote process. However, as Greg pointed
> out, MPI applications often already aggregate messages themselves
> (this is something even "challenged" application people understand
> easily).
Right ...
> I would bet that UPC could more efficiently leverage a strided or
> vector communication primitive instead of message aggregation. I don't
> know if GasNet provides one, I know ARMCI does.
Having the alternative of compiling to a pseudo-vector pipelined
GASnet/ARMCI primitive (hiding latency in the pipeline) >or< an
aggregation primitive (amortizing latency over a large data block) would
seem to be a good thing depending on the number and distribution of
remote memory references in your given kernel.  The latency bubbles in
interconnect- mediated remote memory references are of course much
larger than in a hardware mediated global addresses space remote
reference.  This might change the effectiveness of pipelined based
latency hiding.   From what I know the Berkeley UPC
compiler team is focused on optimization through aggregation rather than
pipelining.  Regardless, at this point our more GUPS-like direct remote
memory reference patterns in our UPC codes, which perform well on the
Cray X1E, must be manually aggregated to achieve performance on a cluster.

Regards,

rbw

--

Richard B. Walsh

Project Manager
Network Computing Services, Inc.
Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC)
rbw at ahpcrc.org  |  612.337.3467

>  "The world is given to me only once, not one existing and one
>   perceived. The subject and object are but one."
>
>   Erwin Schroedinger

This message (including any attachments) may contain proprietary or
privileged information, the use and disclosure of which is legally
restricted.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender by reply message, do not otherwise distribute it, and delete
this message, with all of its contents, from your files.