[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Nathan Moore ntmoore at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 18:56:20 PDT 2007

> I can't believe the GSL people invented a new interface for the one
> numerical interface which is now universal. Not to mention that they
> ignored lots of faster, free libraries like ATLAS and FFTW... what's
> the point of reinventing the wheel badly?

The different interface was a little unconventional, but after
spending an afternoon with the manual and some example programs it
didn't seem like too much hassle.

You must admit that their coverage of mathematical functions is
pretty comprehensive (what other FREE library does the same thing?
Netlib might have all the parts, but nothing is as comprehensive.).
The sheer variety of random number generators available impressed the
heck out of me (especially after using drand48() for far too long).

In my mind (and I've only used gsl for graduate research, ~20 years
of CPU time spread over a few months) the main advantage of GSL is
the almost everything numerical that one might need is in the
library.  Its also available via gnu for any processor type, so if
you're scrounging for time and need to run your code on sgi, sun,
linux, ibm, i386 linux, and alpha, (because that's what's available)
and do your development work in osx, its no big deal to "make" with
the vendor's compiler.  (for a little while I tried curating 6
different makefiles to support all the vendor's different ideas about
how the lapack sgetrf (L-U factorization) should be called (-lessl, -
lsunmath, -llapack, -lcomplib, -lcxml, -lacml, -
l_whatever_intel_called_it.....  I've tried to forget where all these
different libraries are stored)

Nathan
Nathan Moore
Physics, Pasteur 152