[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Ashley Pittman ashley at quadrics.com
Fri Mar 23 09:19:24 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 10:34 +1100, Chris Samuel wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Joe Landman wrote:
>
> > I seem to remember after my joyous year with Pascal in the early 80s that
> > they quickly caught the Modula fad (Niklaus Wirth could do no wrong),
> > dabbled a bit in other things, and came out strong in C++ around late 80s
> > early 90s.
>
> Certainly at Aberystwyth the CS department was torturing students with ADA in
> the late 80's, early 90's.  Those who took the graphics part of the course
> did, IIRC, get to play with some C..

I was the last year of intake to be taught Ada when I started in 1996,
there was a "C and Unix" module in the second year which I'm fairly sure
was compulsory.  These days I program mostly in c although can at least
read fortran.  They switched from Ada to Java which they were still
using last time I checked.

Ashley,