[Beowulf] NSLU2 as part of a low end cluster

Ashley Pittman ashley at quadrics.com
Fri Mar 23 05:13:33 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 10:50 +1100, Chris Samuel wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007, Geoff Jacobs wrote:
>
> > Looks like people are seeing speeds of roughly 5MB/s up and 3MB/s down
> > with NFS. FTP is faster.
>
> I wonder if that can be improved if you replace the firmware with another
> Linux distro ?

I was wondering about this, it's got two USB2 ports and 100Mbit
Ethernet, presumably you could add another USB nic and use channel
bonding however at some point you are going to be limited by the fact
it's a 400MHhz device with 32Mb ram.

It would make a interesting toy cluster, the constraints would certainly
sharpen the mind.

Ashley,