[Beowulf] The recently solved Lie Group problem E8

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Mar 22 12:12:49 PDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Peter St. John wrote:

> First, a picky but pertinent point: Fermat's Last Theorem wasn't done by
> machine. It was Andrew Wiles, at Princeton. The story is that he broke up a

There are computer efforts along these lines, though:

   http://www.cs.rug.nl/~wim/fermat/wilesEnglish.html#a5

and it was my understanding that part of the exploration that led to the
result involved computation.  Perhaps I am mistaken.

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu