[Beowulf] Berkeley View: A future in Parallel Programming?

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:07:42 PDT 2007

I'm really enjoying the PDF there,
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2006/EECS-2006-183.pdf,
particularly, the part about optimizing networks for applications. But the
nice general interest takeaway is that list of Old Conventional Wisdom
paired with New, that's fun. Thanks.
Peter
Old CW: Power is free, transistors are expensive.
New CW: (from the pdf) The transistors are free, but the power is expensive
because you can't afford to power all the transistors on the chip.
Synthesis: Power and Transistors are free, but Density is expensive.