[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Mar 15 09:02:50 PDT 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 07:39:03PM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:
>
>>> When curmudgeonly addressing everyone, you want the super-plural,
>>> "all y'all".
>>
>> I thought it was "all yunz" - curmudgeons don't alliterate ;)
>
> Robert is in the South, "all youse guys" is a Northeast super-plural.

Robert is even from the south -- born a mere 20 miles from where I sit.
The fact that my parents are midwestern, we moved to upstate NY when I
was 9 weeks old, and I lived in India and Northern Virginia (which
doesn't really qualify for "the South" any more) before returning to my
native home means that my base accent is nearly perfect middle american
english, but hey, 34 years in Durham and I can speak southern right
fine.

And Greg is quite right -- to be properly curmudgeonish I prob'ly should
of used all y'all, y'all.  Note how that one was sheepish, not
curmudgeonoid.

So what would be the appropriate forms for addressing a large group in
CA?  My knowledge of canadenglish is limited to experiences in the
immediate Detroit area (due south of Canada, as it were) and the movie
Strange Brew, eh, beauty?

    rgb