[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 14 11:51:47 PDT 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Richard Walsh wrote:

> Joe Landman wrote:
>> Peter St. John wrote:
>>>
>>> So maybe the ceiling will be (Deliverable FLOPS times Recoverable
>>> Bytes)/ml
>> I rather like the Strossian MIPS per kilogram ... :)
> I am partial to the Bremermann limit:
>
> Hans Bremermann's conjecture that ?no data processing system, whether
> artificial
> or living, can process more than 2 × 10^47 bits per second per gram of its
> mass.?
>
> How many Moore doublings until we reach it ... Robert ... ??

Seven.  Exactly seven.

If by "we" you mean the race of space aliens to which I belong... (and
you wondered why I type fast -- I use all 30 tentacles, one per key).

But I've heard that there is another race of space aliens that figured
out how to hook into all those dimensions balled up in superstrings and
now the number has moved to 10^8096 bits per second...s

    rgb