[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Mar 14 10:41:58 PDT 2007

Richard Walsh wrote:

> As far as what you CS department is teaching (from what you described
> and from the point of view of modern high-performance scientific
> computing), I would be careful not to fall in love with CS departmental
> fads ... cross check all local CS-temporo-sectarianisms here on this list.
> Time makes fools of us all, but especially CS departments ...
>
> ;-)

Heh... so any bets on what CS departments will be teaching in
1,2,5,10,20 years?  I seem to remember after my joyous year with Pascal
in the early 80s that they quickly caught the Modula fad (Niklaus Wirth
could do no wrong), dabbled a bit in other things, and came out strong
in C++ around late 80s early 90s.  This has been largely subsumed by Java.

In many universities there are core major courses, and "service" courses
which are needed by non-majors.  Most profs like teaching the core major
courses (ok, the profs who *like* teaching that is).  The service
courses are not viewed as ... rewarding, though quite often they provide
the bulk of the teaching revenue to the department.  In Physics, there
are lots of engineering types in the lower level courses.  I have seen
more service oriented departments (read as less of a research focus)
have lots of pragmatic courses available.

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615