[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Mar 13 17:51:07 PDT 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Jim Lux wrote:

> At 04:03 PM 3/13/2007, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 05:58:53PM -0400, Joe Landman wrote:
>>
>> > If your need for speed increases faster than Moore's law will give you
>> > performance for,
>>
>> ... clusters have been getting bigger, and thus for many apps,
>> sustained performance has been growing faster than Moore's Law for
>> quite some time.
>
> very true...
>
> And it seems that the real limit on system speed these days isn't necessarily
> CPU speed, but interconnect (can't beat the speed of light) and thermal
> limits (gotta get the heat out).

Oh, that's just tedious pessimism.  We just need processors that figure
out what we're going to ask them to do before we ask them to do it so
they can get a head start.  So if we program a really big AI computer
and train it to anticipate what I'm going to type and preload my
finished product before I start typing, we can beat that pesky old
limit.

    rgb