[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 14:29:57 PDT 2007

 >  If you don't
> > know how big your arrays are and how many you need before you start,
> then you
> > don't understand your problem well enough.  Dynamic allocation is a sign
> of
> > weak will, or worse.
>
> <speechless gape>

I just deleted so much that I've lost attribution, but y'all know who you
are :-)

<Speechful gape follows>

Of course I don't understand my problem well enough. I'm much more
interested in writing programs that solve problems which I myself cannot;
than merely write programs what solve problems faster than I can, because
electricity is faster than pencil and paper.

People used to say alot that a computer can "only" do what it was programmed
to do; in an Old Star Trek, Spock knows that somebody tampered with the ship
computer, because he beat it at chess, but since he programmed it to play
chess himself, it should always draw.

Belle, built by Ken, eventually outrated him by about two standard
deviations of tournament performance.

Peter