[Beowulf] HPL on an ad-hoc cluster

Lombard, David N dnlombar at ichips.intel.com
Thu Mar 8 09:05:56 PST 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 06:12:33PM +0200, Olli-Pekka Lehto wrote:
> I'm currently evaluating the possibility of building a ad-hoc cluster
> (aka. flash mob) at a large computer hobbyist event using Linux live
> CDs. The "cluster" would potentially feature well over a thousand
> personal computers connected by a good GigE -network.

Take a look at MapReduce as a mechanism to do some suitable analysis that
you still need to define.  MR will handle the variabilities of your
cluster nicely.  Tuning the work packages so the slowest nodes can complete
their job while being sufficiently large for the fastest nodes nodes could
be interesting.

A good starting point is <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MapReduce>

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.