[Beowulf] network filesystem

Buccaneer for Hire. buccaneer at rocketmail.com
Tue Mar 6 07:17:59 PST 2007

[snip]
> *sigh*  If only we could "spank" them.  In ISV
circles,
> there is a meme running about that Linux == RHEL*.
So
> they code everything to that, and not to the LSB.

RHEL makes it simple for 3rd party vendors to port
their product to Linux because of the much longer
support windows.  Vendors love it. And large companies
like the one I work for love it. And it works very
well-outside the cluster.

We have the RHEL conversation on a regular basis with
our bosses.  RH will come in and talk to them about
the wonders of RHEL, and they want us to use it in the
cluster, specially for infrastructure.

We then have to patiently explain that we have tested
standard RHEL kernels and do not perform well under
our workload-and we point them to our documentation.
That usually halts their forward momentum and workflow
does not suffer.