[Beowulf] network filesystem

Daniel Navas-Parejo Alonso danapa2000 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 14:26:46 PST 2007

Jaime,
In my humble opinion, I think you can start with NFS (but using at least
NFSv4), and see what happens, for instance, what's the real disk access
pattern of your cluster, in terms of amount of IOPS, average BW usage, and
read/write pattern.

It could be interesting to know not only what's gonna be the file server,
but what's the underlying storage subsystem, and the network requirements. I
mean, the server could be big, the network sth like IB or Myrinet, and then
you can be serving files that reside on a copule of internal disks so
performance would sink...

Anyway, I've seen some NFS file servers in that cluster size, I'd suggest
try it and check if this is enough for your applications.

Hope this helps,
Daniel.