[Beowulf] cold cathode fluorescent backlighting

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Jun 28 17:14:39 PDT 2007

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> So yes, I think that LCDs are, on average, far better for the planet and
> your pocketbook than CRTs (remember, an 80W power differential can add
> up to $100's in power savings over the lifetime of a monitor), but not
> perfect.  LEDs, if/when they ever appear (Cree, are you listening?)
> would almost certainly be better than either in all ways.

led backlit displays are already commercially available (for a year or
more in some case like cellphone and high-end lcd tv), with the new mac
be a notable but not first example in a laptop. As lumens/watt continues
to increase their advantages over ccfl's will continue to grow... At the
same time direct emissive displays (oled) will eventually challenge lcd
in most areas where lcd currently challenges other technology.