[Beowulf] Are You Ready for "Intel Cluster Ready"

Brian Dobbins brian.dobbins at yale.edu
Wed Jun 27 11:50:43 PDT 2007

Hi Doug and everyone else,

  I remember some of our initial clusters running with really tiny
ramdisks, and the idea of putting anything non-essential on the nodes
seemed like blasphemy, but as a quick counterpoint, I just installed
some nodes and included Tcl as required by the (environment) Modules
package.  I think this in turn is used by OSCAR's "switcher", and NPACI
Rocks - in fact, in section 8.9.6 of the PDF, they do list OSCAR and
Rocks as 'satisfying the requirements.'  Having something like Modules
or SoftEnv makes life much easier and is well worth the small amount of
space on a system, in my opinion.   (Though, to be fair, I think SoftEnv
doesn't need Tcl at all.)

  The point is, memory and disk are cheap, and even with a ramdisk, an
extra 1MB (for Tcl) is hardly anything to sweat in most cases.  Python?
Besides MPICH and its derivatives, some OS utilities (yum, for example)
use it.   Also, I didn't see it in there, but does the spec say they
have to be locally installed, or can these packages be mounted via NFS?

  I've only glanced very quickly at the document itself (anyone else see
the "Intel Confidential" markings on every page?), but it might just be
that the Java, X11, etc. packages that they look for are required to run
the full suite of Intel cluster tools.  Chances are, this also mimics
the setup they have at their labs.  So, basically, this seems to me to
be geared towards ensuring customers that they work with have an
environment that is up to par with their own platforms... nothing more,
nothing less.  It's like the situation with the Intel compilers that
Igor mentions - you can install them on SuSE and they work fine, but it
isn't technically 'supported'.

  (Heh, naturally enough, the spec also seems to call for at least one
'Intel 64' processor per node.  No 32-bit and, understandably enough, no
AMD.)

  In short, mostly everything IS optional in a cluster, but not if you
want support.  Seems pretty much the case with any system from any
vendor, no?

  Cheers,
  - Brian

Brian Dobbins