[Beowulf] Setting up NFS directory mount on client

A Lenzo alenzo at mail.rochester.edu
Fri Jun 22 12:43:34 PDT 2007

Hello all,

First, thank you to everyone who provided me help on my last problem.  I set
up a small test cluster in order to learn NFS. I have a server and two
nodes on my test network. Running Fedora Core 6. I made an account on the
server called barney. What I want to be able to do is log into any machine
with this account and access files without having to set up the account on
every machine.

So I knew NFS would let me share the home directory of barney across the
network.

It is almost working now.

Right now, using the instructions I found here:
Linux Home Server HOWTO - Network File System

I can log into any node and the directory I want appears here:
/media/mytestsrv/home/barney

So that's great! It is sharing. But I need it to be here:

/home/barney

I can't figure out how to do that. I edited the /etc/fstab file with the
following line:

mytestsrv:/ /home nfs4 auto,rw,nodev,sync,_netdev,proto=tcp,retry=10,rsiz
e=32768,wsize=32768,hard,intr 0 0

but then the files I want appear in:
/home/home/barney

and I log into this message:
Could not chdir to home directory /home/barney: No such file or directory

What can I do to get my home directory into the right place? It is
definitely sharing, but unless the home directory is acually in /home, I'm
not quite there.

Thanks again, Linux and NFS gurus!