[Beowulf] MPI performance gain with jumbo frames

laytonjb at charter.net laytonjb at charter.net
Wed Jun 13 16:30:16 PDT 2007

More questions:

One of the purposes of interrupt coalescence is to reduce the
load on the CPU by ganging interrupt requests together (sorry
for all of the technical jargon there). In a multi-core situation,
do the interrupts affect all of the cores or just one core?

If the interrupts affect all of the cores, then interrupt
coalescence might be a good thing (even if the latency is much
higher). I think Doug has some benchmarks that show some
strange things when running NPB on multi-core nodes. This
might show us something about what's going on.

<aside>
I personally like the concept that Level 5 Networks used in conjunction
with their GigE cards - user space drivers. From what I remember the
Level 5 driver runs a TCP stack on each core as well as the driver.
Then when the core needs to communicate it sends the data directly
to the card (I think) bypassing the kernel. The cool thing though is that the
TCP stack is running on the specific core that is communicating. So the
TCP stack makes use of the fact that the core is idle why the data is
being sent  so why not use it for TCP processing? You now have the
fastest TCP processor in the box (much faster than the TOE ASICs).
I think that's a really interesting concept.
</aside>