[Beowulf] backtraces

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Jun 12 05:11:57 PDT 2007

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 11:55:02PM -0500, Gerry Creager wrote:
>
>> And how do you support my operational requirements with this policy
>> during hurricane season?
>
> By not over-generalizing from a general policy to a place where it
> doesn't apply? Craig has worked in weather forecasting, you know.

Actually, the tone sounded like it was already over-generalized.  I
merely followed the trend.

> You don't run your ensemble elements as separate jobs? Isn't that
> asking for disaster if something goes wrong?

Actually, it depends on what you call a "job".  Apparently IBM's
LoadLeveler (hardly a Beowulf implementation, but what I'm working with
right now) thinks that the job-file defines the job.  I can check-point,
sleep or do quite a bit more within the normal job script but IBM wants
to treat that as a "job".  Most of my runs on that machine complete in a
couple of clock hours for a single ensemble member, or less.  The job,
however, can take 8-12 hours with WRF, Holland winds, ADCIRC, WaveWatch,
SWAN and ELCIRC in ensemble mode.

Some of my WRF climate runs can go for days, however.  Those are cycle hogs.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983