[Beowulf] network transfer issue to disk, old versus new hardware

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jun 5 07:24:49 PDT 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, David Mathog wrote:

> Was athcool running on these?

No. Given that our cluster nodes are in use most of the time, it makes
no sense to think much about idling... And when it's known that some
cluster nodes will not be used for some time (like one day or more), I
prefer to just turn them off - most of them are built from
consumer-grade components, so this brings them closer to their typical
life-cycle. ;-)

> Thankfully this is entirely irrelevant to those of you who have long
> since retired these older Tyan systems.

... and if you didn't have any of those to begin with, then consider
yourself lucky :-)

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868