[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Jul 18 13:28:50 PDT 2007

Jim Lux wrote:
> At 10:38 AM 7/18/2007, Joe Landman wrote:
>> Jim Lux wrote:
>>
>>> The average person spends roughly 3700 hours per year consuming
>>> enetertainment, of which more than 3500 are some form of audio or
>>> video (i.e. not reading)
>>
>> I would love to hear where that data came from.
>

> Here's the breakdown... hours per person per year
> for year 2004
> Filmed Entertainment:
> Cable and Satellite TV  1010

Whoa... 1010 hours?

Thats 11.5% of a day, every day, watching cable tv ...  3 hours.

> Broadcast TV 782

8.9% of the day watching broadcast TV (2.1 hours)

> Consumer Internet 189

I wonder what this means ...

> Home Video 78
> Box Office 13 (e.g. movies and live theater)
> Interactive TV 3
> Subtotal 2075

Uh... I must be wayyyyy behind in my entertainment quota.  Will the
entertainment police stop by and force me to watch Oprah?

> Other
> Broadcast and satellite radio: 1035

Er... Another 3 hours per day.

> Recorded music 180
> Daily Newspapers 169
> Consumer Magazines 118  (obviously, this doesn't include reading Trans ACM)
> Consumer Books  107
> Video Games     71  (which seems low to me, but perhaps its strangely
> defined)
> Subtotal 1680
>
> These were summarized in a presentation I got a few years back, but
> they're based on data (in part) from a source like this:
> http://www.mpaa.org/USEntertinmentIndustryMarketStats.pdf
> which has 2006 numbers..

ummmm  someone (mpaa cough cough) is *seriously* overestimating some things.

> Take a look at slide #49
>

> Now, clearly, these numbers are used as marketing stuff for filmed
> entertainment, so they're going to try and show as much film and as

Yeah....

Ok, I am just caught up with how wrong their data seems.  I have
internet radio on in the background while I code/think... does that make
it 16 hours a day I consume things?

Am I alone in thinking these numbers are screwy?  Or I am so far behind
in my own self-entertainment quota that a month long vacation is
mandated with a force fed diet of DRM protected movies, radio, ...

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com