[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Tue Jul 17 18:25:05 PDT 2007

I care about multimedia systems, and I want them to work with whatever
I throw at it and not tell me what I am allowed to run.

Automated freedom-restriction devices are a real nuisance because they
are
bound to decide wrong most likely anyways, enforcing that I should have
to pay
for the same song or movie twice, just because the two systems I want to
play it
on are not compatible in terms of their DRM, or my current dvd player
was purchased
in a different country than the DVD I own and want to play on it.

No idea how region codes enforcement is legal.

Avoiding itunes and vista may be first step - but the software patents
and DMCA are making
us stumble even then - try to find an officially supported Linux version
that comes with
all the mplayer/mp3 pieces. Not because the software does not exist, but
because of the
obscure legal situation only.

Anybody have a transcode cluster package? ;-)

Michael