[Beowulf] Virtualization

andrew holway andrew at moonet.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 12:20:32 PDT 2007

Please replace "cloud computing" with "utility computing" they are the
same article on wikipedia but........

It seems to me that the current trend is going towards this kind of
setup for people needing server space. Pay per hour, per processor.

If it is to be offered as an alternative to dedicated hosting I think
a container is very important. Allowing users an environment they
understand is essential.

I'm interested in utilising the hardware to create something akin to
the sun grid or the amazon elastic computing cloud whereby the
resources available to the environment are automatically expanded and
contracted. Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick on how these
services operate.

The thing that I think would be most important, even over performance
would be reliability. From the very little I understand about beowulf
clusters a node dying isn't really a problem. I need to work out the
economics of such a setup but I think, in the interests of the
hallowed 100% uptime a fair chunk of the performance could be
sacrificed.

Please excuse my rantings and misunderstandings :-) Im having a hard
time getting good information about this kinda stuff.

Cheers,

Andy