[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Jon Forrest jlforrest at berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 16 16:24:46 PDT 2007

I'll go out on a limb and take the opposing position.
I'm happily running Vista on both my home machine
(which I own and paid for) and my work machines (which
UC Berkeley owns and paid for).

Perhaps one reason for my success and that I always wipe
out whatever version of Windows comes with a PC and
do a fresh install. This seems to make a real
difference.

The primary reason I run Vista, instead of Linux,
is that no version of Linux I've seen looks as
good on an LCD screen as Windows with Cleartype.
I've run tests on the same hardware, switching between
Linux and Windows. It isn't even close.

There are also some apps I like which only run on Windows,
but that's another story.

I happily administer Linux clusters and standalone
machines from my Vista machines. So far, Vista has been
quite stable for me, although I am looking forward to SP1
to fix the rough edges that remain. I should add that
I've been using Unix since 1975.

I am *not* proposing running Windows in a cluster.
There are technical and financial reasons why
this might not be such a smart idea.

Go ahead. Make my day...

--
Jon Forrest