[Beowulf] Re: SGI to offer Windos on clusters ---> Skew/Jitter paper

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Mon Jan 22 09:14:39 PST 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 16:39, Ashley Pittman wrote:
> In answer to a previous post about using extra CPUS/cores to alleviate
> this problem it's not a new idea, IIRC PSC were doing this six or seven
> years ago,

I was well aware that it wasn't new at all, my main point was that given
the "core explosion" going on it's getting more interesting and cheaper every
day.

> I'd be interested to see if hyperthreading helps the
> situation,

Yes numbers on this would be interesting, my initial guess would be that it
would be good (assuming that you never schedule more work than you have
actual cores or course).

/Peter