[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Thu Jan 18 06:17:34 PST 2007

Ashley Pittman wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 08:50 +0100, Mikael Fredriksson wrote
>> Yes, it is.  And more so if this cluster/LAN can also utilize som type
>> of "MOSIX" system.  This will substatially increase the throughput of
>> "standard serial" processes.
>>

> I find this statement hard to comprehend, how can any OS substantially
> improve throughput of jobs unless what it replaces is incredibly
> deficient in some way?  The limiting factor on clusters is the speed of
> the hardware, even if some OS magically manages to be say 50% more
> efficient doing it's bit than another OS it's still only a tiny percent
> of time used, substantial improvements in job throughput can only come
> about from better parallel algorithms, better code or faster hardware.

     While I agree with this argument, especially at small scale, at
very large scale operating
     system derived load imbalance (so-called skew, due to the random
nature of system
     call driven interrupts) can destroy scalability, and thus
efficiency.  This is worth mentioning,
     although I would not expect Windows to improve on Linux in this
context.  You need
     a light-weight kernel like Catamount to reduce skew.

     There is a very good paper showing the effects of skew at scale by
Kerberyson, et al from
     Sandia.

     rbw

--

Richard B. Walsh

"The world is given to me only once, not one existing and one
 perceived. The subject and object are but one."

Erwin Schroedinger

Project Manager
Network Computing Services, Inc.
Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC)
rbw at ahpcrc.org  |  612.337.3467

This message (including any attachments) may contain proprietary or
privileged information, the use and disclosure of which is legally
restricted.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender by reply message, do not otherwise distribute it, and delete
this message, with all of its contents, from your files.