[Beowulf] Teraflop chip hints at the future

Greg Lindahl greg.lindahl at qlogic.com
Tue Feb 13 23:10:42 PST 2007

> That article says:
>
>     Although the chip itself is capable of processing over one trillion
>     floating point operations per second, don't be fooled by the numbers;
>     these aren't 128-bit FP operations but rather single-precision FP
>     operations.

Yes, but x86 doesn't have 128-bit FP operations -- it does multiple
32-bit or 64-bit ops at once. So at best anandtech is being confused,
and at worst they're really confused. I've never seen anyone ever
count a group of 32-bit or 64-bit ops as 128-bit ops. And we shouldn't
start doing it, either.

-- greg