[Beowulf] Teraflop chip hints at the future

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Feb 13 03:07:25 PST 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 11:57:04AM +0100, Alan Louis Scheinine wrote:

> Cell (CBE) shows that a similar approach can run Linux, one
> conventional processor and lots of specialized cores on the same chip.

Yes, but it lacks the on-die switch to scalably mesh cores,
so you only get a few cores for each fat (=many pins) connection
to memory. This is no way to run a kNode in one physical box.

Apropos of Cell, I presume most of you have seen
http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/cluster/ps3/

Anyone knows how badly the GBit virtualization layer (hypervisor)
on the PS3 hits latency on Cell Linux?