[Beowulf] massive parallel processing application required

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 09:34:12 PST 2007

Mark,

On 2/1/07, Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> > Moore's Law

  (I guess you could argue that there are
> generational aspects to the shrink/area thing too, since, for instance,
> visible-optical gave way to UV and presumably eventually immersion litho.
> or maybe it'll be imprint litho next.)

Yeah, I'm thinking of the smooth curve (to which we can apply cubic splines)
is the combined effect of many discrete step-funcitons.

I guess that's more of an economic network effect.  but am I alone in
> thinking that cellphones are one of the suckiest products on the market?
> (the phones themselves are OK; it's the bundling and customer-screwage
> I'm not fond of.

Yes indeed; cell phones cool, cell phone comanies less so. Voice over IP
ought to be free by now :-)

> Sure I want fiber optics to my house. But maybe the power company will
> carry
> > data on the wasted bandwidth of power lines. Keep the faith :-)
>
> call me an unrealistic idealist, but I'm hoping for wimax-like stuff
> (perhaps with some nice subversive/grassroots mesh routing) to eliminate
> the incredibly annoying cell monopolies.

Me too. I want a small laser on my rooftop, with prisms splitting to
receivers on the roofs of two or four neighbors, with a uucp type friendly
free protocol. I guess they should be MASERs but I'm no physicist.

regards, mark.

regards, Pete.