[Beowulf] Building a new cluster - seeking some advice

David Bakin davidbak at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 22:12:10 PST 2007

Speaking of nodes w/ disks vs. nodes without - I was thinking of equiping a
small cluster (microwulf style) with each node having a single USB
thumbdrive instead of a disk.  I thought it might be easier than trying to
get nodes to boot PXE style over the network.  And it seemed to me that
thumbdrives might be easier than disk-per-node to keep in sync: I'd just
unplug them from the nodes, plug them into to a USB hub on another computer
where I build my distribution, and copy files to them, then plug them back
into their nodes.  Also the USB drives would serve for any local filesystem
needs, e.g., for logging or whatever.  With a 1Gb key available for about
$12 it seemed a pretty easy and cheap and low power solution.  And no moving
parts means the "disks" won't die for mechanical reasons (and they won't be
written to enough to worry about flash-wear).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Tried it?  Knows why it won't work?

Thanks!  -- David Bakin